Monday, February 3, 2014

¿qué es lo he aprendido? / what have I learned?

I've been in Argentina over five months. At times I can't believe it but then I think about how accustomed I have become to a porteña life and I really do believe it. Here are a few thoughts on TIA and what I've learned in this experience so far:


"TIA - This is Argentina"
Argentina is an interesting country because at first glance, it appears to be a complete first world country but when you dig a bit deeper, it is not. I've heard a lot of people say Argentina's people are first world while the infrastructure is not. And it's so true. From the cracked sidewalks to the electric system that cannot withstand people turning on their air conditioning to the inconsistency of everything from what food is at the supermarket to the internet connection, Argentina is not a fully developed first world country. I constantly am reminded of this as I trip on the sidewalk or get cut off Facetiming with my family or friends. In these moments (and many more) I say to myself/out loud, TIA: This is Argentina. 


What have I learned?
After being here five months, I realize that more than anything I am here to learn. I see this as an experience to learn about working on the ground with people from other places; while they share the same religous culture, there are differences in the secular culture, the way they work, communicate, and interact. I have learned to be thankful for the opportunities I've had, especially the things I took for granted living in the US. I am learning to work in a language that is not my native one, learning translating skills and how to express myself in a foreign language. I am learning patience, for Argentina moves at a different pace than I am accustomed to in the US. Everything takes longer and that is not an exaggeration. When I go to the grocery store for a couple items, I plan to be there for a minimum of 30 minutes. About a month ago, I went to buy milk, eggs, and yogurt. I got in line at the checkout and while waiting completed a sudoku puzzle. Although that is pretty funny, it's a good example of the pace of the country. 

I am learning to be a better listener and to listen with my all. Sometimes (or a lot of times) this means not giving my input but just being there to listen, other times it means offering my advice or persepctive. All of the time it implies asking questions. I have always been inquisitive but have learned to ask even more questions. Asking questions lets me learn, shows I'm interested, and also lets me (and the other person) realize what I do and don't understand. I am learning to be diplomatic. I get asked a lot about my views on politics, government, etc. and it has been a good experience having these conversations with people that come from a different system and have strong views about the American system. It can be difficult to share my own views while at the same time making sure the other person understands that it is only my view and not the view of all people from the United States, aka diplomatic :). For a fun side note, I've really improved my math conversion skills. Whether kilometers to meters when I'm bike riding, Celsius to Fahrenheit to ask someone the temperature, grams to cups when I am cooking, or kilograms to pounds when I decide it's a good idea to weigh myself, my math skills have definitely improved.

I have learned to communicate non-verbally, both understanding nonverbal cues and using them myself. Especially before I knew Spanish well, I became a pro at understanding and communicating in a nonverbal way. For instance, sometimes living in a place you are not fluent means you might play charades to describe an onion when you forget the word at the vegetable market (yes that happened and it was successful). I also use my nonverbal communication skills to know if my teens are bored with what we are doing and if we should move on to another activity. I've also realized how much more Argentine's speak with their hands (I think it's because of the Italian blood running through their veins) and think I have started to speak more with my hands as well. I have learned to be by myself, something I was nervous about and now have accepted and learned to like.  

After this year, I envision myself working in the US to keep our global Jewish community collaborating, partnership, and sharing. I know that I will carry the lessons I am learning by living and working in a diaspora Jewish community into my future work and future life. I can't wait to see what the rest of this year will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment